Tax the 'Migrants'
From Outlook : The proposed exit tax on students of IITs and IIMs who migrate abroad after their education has its share of supporters and critics-with their sets of reasons.
- It will deter and stem the brain drain
- Since the state heavily subsidises higher education, it has a right to impose the tax
- It will generate finances that could be put in a corpus for deserving students
- Only those who leave the country for good will be penalised
- It will impact only poorer students
- Migration will continue as higher education in India is in a mess. Those who can afford it will pay and exit
- It singles out students from IITs, IIMs
- A better option would be to evolve a rational, market-oriented fee structure. Subsidise students, not institutions