The Alto Lesson
The consistent strong showing of Alto in India holds valuable lessons for all marketers targeting the middle income consumers in India. The lessons?
- Don't shortchange the customer with a 'bare-bones product', justified by a trade-off between price and attributes of the product. Give the consumer all the critical attributes without raising prices. Raise prices only if you add on desirable attributes, like for eg., power windows. The added costs in giving all the critical attributes would be offset by higher volume take-offs.
- Ensure low operating/running costs.
- Back the product up with a string of service networks and quick response times.
- Communicate the product on functional attributes in a believable manner, with no puffery.
- Be in constant touch with the user, never taking him/her for granted with guaranteed responses to problems faced.
- Deliver what is promised, and let the post purchase interactions be the cause of 'delight'.