Indian Eve 's tipsy
Why more Indian women are taking to drink -
- Economic independence, changed social environment have helped break down middle-class taboos against women drinking.
- Work pressures, professional responsibilities, peer pressure, make many women drink several times a week.
- A plethora of bars in metro cities with weekly ‘Ladies’ Nights’, easy availability of a wide range of drinks also fuel the drink habit.
- Women drinkers account for a quarter of the Indian alcohol industry’s annual 15 per cent growth The majority of women drinkers drink more than the ‘safe alcohol limit’ every week.
- Alcohol has a more toxic effect on women than on men. Women are also more prone to alcohol addiction.
Source : 'Swiggin' Janes' ; Outlook Magazine